- Posted Monday August 3, 2015
As part of First Practice Management (FPM) Group’s aim to become Disability Confident we are supporting YoungMinds, a charity dedicated to improving the emotional wellbeing and mental health of children and young people.
They have an impressive 21 year track record of highly successful campaigning and raising awareness to this cause, whilst also providing a range of valuable services.
Their current campaign, 'YoungMinds Vs' which they say is their ‘most ambitious campaign to date’ focuses on their top five issues that were decided upon after consulting with 1600 young people.
These issues are:
- Sexual pressures
- School stress
- Access to counselling
As part of the campaign they have 1500 young people raising awareness in their communities and online. Hundreds of Media Champions representing the cause in the media, young people working with local and national decision-makers and lots of organisations pledging to ensure they will make young people’s health central to their work.
All of their campaigning and researching is evidence based and helps to influence local, regional and national mental health services, whilst aiming to empower children and young people.
What do they do?
- Empower children and young people – Their wide group of young campaigners share their own experiences with professionals and policy makers at local and national levels to improve mental health services and outcomes.
- Supporting parents and carers – They offer a free Parent’s Helpline available to both parents and carers that offers support with behaviour and enabling them to secure professional help for their child. It has a specialist callback service and email support making it flexible and easily contactable.
- Training and supporting professionals – They offer training, resources and consultancy to anyone who works with children and young people; providing knowledge to promote better mental health and wellbeing.
- Making mental health information accessible – Their website has easy-to-read publications and trusty information about children and young people’s mental health and wellbeing, online information where they can share their own experiences and support each other and an e-newsletter that features news and other updates.
What is mental health?
Mental health includes our emotional, psychological and social wellbeing and affects how we think, feel and act. It can affect people in many different ways and in varying levels of severity making treatment and accessibility difficult.
Treatment can vary from medication to talking treatments like counselling and psychotherapy, with people finding different forms helpful depending on their situation.
There are many factors that can contribute to mental health problems, including biological factors such as brain chemistry and genes, past life experiences and whether it runs in the family.
Childhood and teenage years are when mental health problems develop and - with the society we live in today - there is a rise in young people and children suffering with mental health problems.
This is why charities like YoungMinds are so important, you can find out more about what they do by visiting their website.
© First Practice Management, 2015. Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited.