- Posted Monday July 21, 2014
It’s summer. The sky here in Perthshire is heavy with threatening rain clouds and we keep fingers crossed that the weekend will stay dry. It’s also the season for lists. That time of the year when the newspapers run out fresh ideas to fill their many column inches.
And so we see, among many others;
- Twenty recommended activity holidays for families
- The most sought after hotel rooms this month
- The ten best Elvis Lookalike Dogs (here’s one!)
And of course - My Top Summer Reads (**)
Meanwhile, at work, while constantly referring to my own to do list – you know that one that never stops growing - I've also been looking over job descriptions with reference to staff appraisals and it started me thinking about a list of the top fifteen attributes and skills of a Practice Manager.
I’m going to stick my neck out and plump for the following – in no specific order:
- can model the right attitude
- has a logical, organised mind and working methods
- is a completer/finisher as well as a resource investigator and a monitor/evaluator
- is computer literate
- is diplomatic but dogged
- is analytical and insightful
- can vary communication style appropriately
- can summarise, and engage in or manage structured discussion/debate
- can deal with difficult issues
- is calm under pressure
- takes a lead where appropriate
- is open to new ideas and feedback and actively seeks them
- projects a positive attitude
- is discreet, maintaining confidentiality in sensitive matters
- respects the relative positions of GPs and PM
Does anyone have any more suggestions?
** And now for my list of top summer reads. All enjoyed at one time or another with feet up, beach or pool-side.
- And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Moshin Hamid
- In Another Light by Andrew Greig
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
- My Blue Eyed Boy by Helen Dunmore
- Burnt Shadows by Kamila Shamsie
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
And as I relax on holiday later in the summer, book in hand, and wine glass by my side, I’ll try to forget what’s going on back at the surgery, and remember that ‘INDISPENSIBLE’ is not on my list of Practice Manager attributes!
Have a lovely summer.