- Posted Tuesday January 21, 2014
The UK has seen more than its fair share of wet and windy weather over the last few weeks and, according to the Met Office, there is more to come.
Hopefully your practice has been relatively unscathed from the weather so far but, should you be affected in the coming weeks, the following advice may be useful:
- Before switching on the electricity make sure a qualified electrician checks the electrical installation.
- Before switching on the gas make sure a GasSafe registered tradesperson checks the gas supply.
- Ensure no items are thrown away until an insurer or loss adjuster tells you to.
- If perishable items need to be disposed of make a list of them and document with photos.
- Stay safe: always listen to the advice of the emergency services.
- Repairs, using items, such as tarpaulins to prevent water damage are normally permissible; however you should tell your insurer about the preventative measures you’ve taken.
- Ensure all your staff know what to do in the event of a flood and ensure the safety of your patients.
Even if your practice is not affected, what about your surrounding vicinity? If any of the doctors need to make house calls ensure they are aware of any roads that may have been flooded and that the Environment Agency advises against driving through flood water. Likewise, for visitors to your surgery, ensure the car parks are safe for patients and staff and document any action you have taken to minimise any danger which could protect you in the event of a liability claim.
With more storms forecast and the likelihood of freezing weather conditions also to come, now is a good time to ensure all your staff are familiar with your contingency plan so, should the worst happen, you are able to weather the storm.
If you have any questions or require advice in regards to your surgery insurance, Towergate MIA would be delighted to help. Please call us on 0800 013 7777 or visit our website.
Towergate MIA is pleased to offer exclusive discounts to members of FPM*:
- 10% off specialist surgery insurance
- 20% off specialist locum insurance to help you deal with staff absence
- 10% off specialist Home insurance specifically designed for medical professionals
If you already have a policy with Towergate MIA, we are also able to offer a multi-policy discount when you buy additional policies through MIA.
*Please note discounts are only applicable to members of First Practice Management who are direct customers of Towergate MIA in Stevenage. We reserve the right to withdraw this discount at anytime without prior notice.
Towergate MIA and Towergate Insurance are trading names of the Towergate Underwriting Group Limited. Registered in England No. 4043759. Registered address: Towergate House, EclipsePark, Sittingbourne Road, Maidstone, KentME14 3EN. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.