First Practice Management
- Posted Wednesday January 15, 2020
This month we are showcasing the fantastic things Phoenix Family Care in Coventry are doing in their communities and the services they’re particularly proud of.
What is the name of your GP practice?
Phoenix Family Care
What is your patient list size?
We have registered 6,000 patients and are steadily growing
What is the main demographic of your practice?
Around 30% of our patients are over 65. These patients will naturally have a greater need of our services as they can have multiple health problems.
We’d love to hear about how you engage with your local community?
In the past two years we have worked really hard to improve our relationship between our community and our practice. We have become involved in many charitable projects to benefit the wider community.
This list is not exhaustive, but it will give you a really good idea of the events we have run and the amount of work our staff have put into the practice and the community
- Fundraising for the Christmas Wish Foundation. We held a raffle, with the first prize being a spa day for a family
- Fundraising for ill children to visit Euro Disney
- Supporter and promoter of Year of Wellbeing for Coventry City Council
- Myton Hospice fund raiser with Christmas mince pies and coffee
- Coffee mornings supporting Macmillan, carers and Alzheimer’s charities
- An Easter Egg collection and hamper raffle
- Ongoing collection and fundraising for Zoe’s Place
- Homeless Collection of clothing at Christmas, as well as a Food Bank and a Clothes Bank collection for West Midlands Air Ambulance
- Raising awareness of Cervical Cancer and Breast Cancer, and fundraising for the British Heart Foundation
Which services that you offer patients are you particularly proud of?
Over the past two year the surgery has been very successful at promoting health screening. In 2018 and 2019 we were awarded a prize as being in the top three surgeries out of 77 in Coventry and Rugby CCG.
This has resulted in increased identification of patients living with hypertension and diabetes. In addition, our diagnosis of pre-diabetes has been significantly increased. We now work alongside the National Diabetes Prevention Program and refer of our all patients in this category, helping them understand prevention with the aim of stopping them developing diabetes in their lives. This has proved to be really successful, as we are able to offer this service within the practice.
We have also done an extensive amount of work with the Carers Trust. We have been awarded their Bronze Award and are currently working on achieving Silver.
What is the best thing about working at your practice?
Phoenix Family Care has a dedicated team that works well together as one unit. We are a friendly team that enjoy working at the surgery. We have a good relationship with our patients and all of our clinical and non-clinical staff members are well respected by our patients.
You could be the next FPM Practice of the Month! If you would like to nominate your practice get in touch via email or drop us a line through our Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn pages today.