- Posted Wednesday September 9, 2020
Many practices have been active on social media for a while now, as more and more patients are looking for practice news and health information online.
Almost every business has an online presence nowadays with Facebook, Twitter or Linkedin being the most popular platforms. But what about Instagram? Is it a tool that can benefit your practice, and should your practice expand its online presence on Instagram?
Instagram is a social media platform that has seen the most evolution recently, compared to Facebook and Twitter and there are now 1 billion monthly active users. As of June 2020, there were 26.54 million Instagram users in the United Kingdom (UK). This is the largest user base reported since September 2018.
“Among these users, 90% follow a business on the platform, suggesting that Instagram users are keen on hearing from and about brands.”
As Facebook and Twitter has got a bit crowded, Instagram offers you the opportunity to get your message across and grow your patient list size. Additionally, having an online presence on another social media platform gives your practice more credibility and helps with the search engine ranking as well as with building confidence with your patients.
Setting up an account on Instagram is easy but remember to make a business account instead of a personal one as you have access to post statistics, impressions, profile views etc. It also means that you have a better understanding of your followers which can help you target new ones.
Choosing your username is also important as it makes it easier for patients to find your profile. Try choosing a name that best describes and reflects your practice, your practice name and location for example could work.
Useful tip: Try to fill in your description box with fun and interesting facts about your practice using emojis to make your profile stand out! The practice location is always useful to keep on your description box too, as it helps patients find you easier in a specific area.
What kind of content should I post?
Instagram is a platform that is more informal and fun. People like to see “behind the scenes” as well as interactive, creative and fun which means that posting promotional and technical content will not work for you. For example, you can post about your practice’s social events or talk about trending healthcare topics. Posting pictures of your practice rooms and staff is also a good idea to make your account more personal to your audience.
5 things to consider
- Ensure that your Instagram profile is complete. This means filling out the bio thoroughly with relevant keywords to your business as well as creating IG Stories highlights.
- Post content consistently. Post with intention: don’t post content just for the sake of posting. Also, be sure to include a thorough caption - the detailed, the better.
- Be responsive and interact with your community. Make sure you’re replying to your followers’ comments, direct messages, and follows. If you’re being tagged in posts, respond to them.
- Post a good balance of different types of content. This will include image posts, video posts, Stories, and even IGTV.
- Use your Practice’s location on your posts. When you tag your post with a location, it has the potential to show up when a user searches the location name or keyword under ‘Places’. This makes it easier for current or potential patients to find your profile.
Don’t forget you can find First Practice Management on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook